Monday, November 15, 2010

High Five

I love the act of the High Five. It is such a positive thing.  From infancy you are taught how to give a "high five".  One of the reasons I love them so much is because they can almost never be negative. You would never say to a friend "I am having the worst day ever - please give me a high five" - it just doesn't work. The act of the "High Five" dates back centuries I am sure but for my life "high-fives" have meant a million different things. I remember playing that game when I was little with high fives, you know the one...."Up high, on the side, down low - too slow...etc.." and laughing hard at tricking people. I love watching and playing this game with my kids now. Pure joy. Then as I grew up a little I played sports, so high fives on the field or court or wherever usually meant encouragement to do a good job or to actually say "good job - you did something great".  I would make up 'high-five secret handshakes" with my friends that would include all sorts of high five-ing and cool things that would make me feel like I had something special with people. Then as I started dating the joke would come about of "high-five-ing" on the porch after dates. And I still remember the high five with the lingering hand hold I gave my husband before he left for two years to serve our church.  My husband loves high fives and always has. He would give high fives to everyone in a room when he was leaving and made every person feel special. I see him giving them to my son when he plays basketball with him and I saw him give them to his High School students all the time for encouragement and praise.  How can someone not feel special if you give them a high five? How can you not feel special for giving one out? So next time you are feeling down just ask the next person you see to give you a high five or make up a secret high five handshake with a friend or even play the "down low too slow" game with someone. I love high fives. They are sure to put you in a good mood.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post. A version of high-fiving is giving bones or rocks (that's what they call it here). Watching athletes do this after a great play is awesome. My favorite two-way celebration right now is after athletes do a great play, the player runs up to a teammate on the court or a teammate on the bench and they both jump up and hit each other on the side. (Where did this come from anyway?) I think that I will start to do this with my professors and classmates at school. Whenever I make a good comment or write a great paper, I'm going to leap out of my desk and side-bump the professor/classmate. :) Garth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss your loveliness!!! Here's a virtual high five from all the way in Utah, I miss yer guts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HIGH FIVE for this post! I remember the high five at the door. OH Rude. I remember laughing so hard about that one! Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "One of the reasons I love them so much is because they can almost never be negative. You would never say to a friend "I am having the worst day ever - please give me a high five" - it just doesn't work."

    "So next time you are feeling down just ask the next person you see to give you a high five or make up a secret high five handshake with a friend or even play the "down low too slow" game with someone."

    ReplyDelete