Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chalkboard Refrigerator, what?

A favorite show in our house is Good Luck Charlie on the Disney Channel. We love this show. While watching an episode the other day I noticed their refrigerator had a chalkboard front and I just knew that this is what I wanted to do. So of course I went to Pinterest and found a few ideas on how to do it and went out, bought a quart of chalkboard paint and a little brush ($12 Total) and went to town on my boring, white fridge. And now I LOVE it!!!! Every time I look at it, it puts me in a good mood!! I am excited to put different quotes on it for different times of year and the kids love writing on it too. Couple of things I learned:
1. You don't need magnetic primer or anything - just paint it on and the magneticity still works, I did do like 4 coats.
2. After you condition the surface by rubbing it down with the side of a piece of chalk or just anytime it is dusty/dirty looking the only way to get it nice black is by using COKE on a rag. No joke. So awesome!!!

I loved this project and love how it looks! So go do a little cheap project to lift your mood. I promise it will!!!

Before:

After:

5 comments:

  1. oh my!! I have been dreaming of doing this for years! It turned out awesome! Nicely done! (p.s. if i could have underlined every other word in this comment I would have. And then JD could have read it to you for it's fullest extent. Really, I like this that much.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM GLAD YOU LIKE IT, ALL CAPS IS THE BEST I CAN DO FOR EMPHASIS!!!!! AND A LOT OF EXCLAMATIONS!!!! WISH WE COULD HAVE TALKED MORE THE OTHER NIGHT, GOOD TO SEE YOU FOR A FEW MOMENTS!!!

      Delete
  2. just a small suggestion...this is not intended to make you feel like your project is bad...because the only bad your project is is BAD-A! I love it. Suggestion: what if you got some silver spray paint OR brushed nickle spray paint and did the parts you left white? that would make it stand out less. OR you could get a FUN color, like the bowls on the top of the fridge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion Heather! I have decided that I like them white though because the rest of my room is black white and green decorated so it matches, however doing them green has crossed my mind! Miss you!

      Delete